Today is all about pre-workout snacks/meals!! There are a ton of things that you can do for this but here are a few that some of our trainers like to eat before they workout! Now remember you want to get some good carbs to get plenty of energy for your workout. Protein is also another great thing to include in your pre-workout snack!
If your working out in the morning making something that is a little bit more substantial to eat before you leave for the club is perfect. Here is what we like:
- Oats (unsweetened oatmeal is perfect)
- Half a whole grain bagel (whole grain is a lot better for you than white bread or just a regular bagel)
- Piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter (I love this one, probably because I’m obsessed with crunchy peanut butter but still!)
- Piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter and bananas (Channeling our inner Elvis with this one!)
- Cereal with some fiber (Cheerios, Kashi, Wheaties ect.)
All of these will give you a good start and a nice level of carbs. Now it’s important to eat this part of your pre-workout snack about 2 hours or so before you are going to workout. If this doesn’t work with your schedule that’s fine just make sure you get your carbs in atleast 30-45 minutes before. This will make sure the glucose gets into your bloodstream to give you the energy you need.
If you’re planning on working out after lunch there are a bunch of different options that you can choose from.
- Turkey, chicken or lean roast beef sandwich on whole-grain bread with cheese, lettuce and mayo
- Variety of veggies with hummus (here are some great recipes for hummus if you prefer to have it fresh) http://mideastfood.about.com/od/middleeasternfood101/a/hummus101.htm
- Cottage cheese and fruit (I love it with pineapple or peaches, canned is fine as long as it isn’t canned in the syrup, there’s a ton of sugar that isn’t great for you in that!)
- Whole grain crackers and cheese (Kashi makes some great whole grain crackers and Fit and Active has really yummy string cheese, I always have it at my desk!)
- Hard-boiled eggs
Those are all some great ideas for a good lunch before your workout.
A little bit before you workout (30 minutes or so) have a handful of almonds or a piece of fruit. This is great for something just a little bit extra right before your workout and the fruit doesn’t add any calories.
Now if you’re someone who doesn’t like to eat too much before you workout you could always go the liquid route and have a fruit smoothie. There are a ton of recipes for fruit smoothies online and it basically just depends on what kind of fruit you like! Here’s a recipe for my favorite:
Banana & Black Berry Smoothie
1/2 medium banana
1/2 cup blackberries (frozen or fresh, I have wild blackberry bushes at my house so I normally go fresh)
1/2 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup ice cubes
Just put it all in a blender until its smooth!
I had a salad with salmon, goat cheese and sprouts with it as well..
If you don’t like to make your own smoothies or if your running late and have no time to make one, the City Blends Smoothies we have here at Galaxy Fitness are great to have pre or even post workout. There are a bunch of different kinds to pick from and you can add different powders that fit what you are trying to do.
- Builder Protein
- Burner Protein
- Gainer Protein
- Creatine- It’s great to take before or after your workout. It can greatly enhance your athletic performance by speeding up muscle recovery during intense exercise & helps promote muscle growth.
- Greens Pack-You can take this one any time, it’s a powerful blend of 18 different nutrients designed to protect healthy cells, assist the body in flushing out toxins, and support overall health & longevity.
- Energy Pack- It is best to take this before your workout. It’s a natural energizer designed to improve the use of oxygen in muscles, enabling longer aerobic activity and quicker recovery.
- Fat Loss Pack-You can use this one before or after your workout. It’s a herbal & mineral formula designed to speed up your metabolism, improve energy & assist with fat loss.
- Wellness Pack-You can take this one anytime. This is a special blend of powerful herbs designed to assist your body in fighting off infection, help the digestive process, & strengthen your immune system.
- Vita Pack-You can take this one anytime. It is a potent blend of 34 different vitamins & minerals designed to keep the body strong, energized and nourished.
I love the Get Your Peanuts Here smoothie (my obsession with peanut butter is showing again!) It has peanut butter, chocolate powder and Burner Protein in it, but I don’t get it that often because it is high in calories. I will normally get one with a lot of fruit in it, like Strawberry Fields.
Basically there are some staples that you can stick with for your pre-workout food and just sort of mix and match them to what you like!
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Whole grain bread, bagels or crackers
- Cheese (cottage cheese or regular)
- Peanut butter
- Cereals with high fiber
- Trail mix of nuts and dried fruit
Now one of the most important things for you to do before, during and after your workout is to be hydrated, make sure you drink around 16-oz of water around 1-2 hours before your workout.
So that’s about it! Some of our trainers favorite pre-workout snacks and some other ones as well! I hope this helped some of you! If you have any foods that you like to eat before you workout comment and share with everyone!